Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Month of Modern Dance!

Goodness, already a month to recap.  The past four weeks have been great!  Though the classes have been small I prefer to start that way; to begin with fewer students as I get back into the swing of things and feel out what the class's interests are. 

I've enjoyed seeing a wide range of ages and levels show interest in my class.  One evening I was preparing to teach class to just my friend Andrea when right at 6:30 in walked an older couple.  I was thrilled and immediately began thinking how I was going to adjust the class.  A few minutes later in walked my friend and fellow Helena dance instructor adding a whole other element!  To date this has been my favorite class.  Cleo Parker Robinson was in town so we did some movement inspired by her as well as by my experience dancing in Ghana, West Africa.

Sadly I had to cancel on the 8th as I was headed to Missoula and that was the day the storm hit so waiting until after class to leave didn't seem like a good idea.  The payoff is all the more greater, however, as I was inspired and re-energized by the dance community over there.  On Friday I indulged in classes with my former professors, the lovely Nicole Bradley Browning and Heidi Jones Eggert.  I even got to see some dance as Weber Dance from Boston happened to be in town.  Saturday morning I took a master class with Artistic Director, Jody Weber, and after the show had a chance to share a drink with Jody and her dancers.  It was a great weekend and I'm left even more excited to share this wonderful form.

Hope to see you in class soon.

P.S.  The seed has been planted for a new work in collaboration with musician Tyler Knapp.  Super excited!  More to come as it is only an idea as of yet :)

No comments:

Post a Comment